If you have a daughter, granddaughter, friend, or even are a college-age female you most likely know what the Red Zone is. And if you do not, it is very important that you do!
The Red Zone is the period of time from the beginning of the fall semester to Thanksgiving break when sexual assaults on U.S. college campuses spike. Although every student, regardless of age or gender, is at risk, freshman females are the most vulnerable.
More than 50% of college sexual assaults occur in either August, September, October, or November.
For many, college comes with increased freedom. This can and should be very exciting! It is important to keep in mind strategies for safety while you are also having a good time and experiencing college!
Get to know people!
- College is a great time to meet new people and find new friends. Don’t rely on someone you just met to keep you safe. Really get to know someone before you spend alone time with them.
Don’t go alone!
- Go to places and parties with friends you can trust. Don’t leave without each other or let anyone leave with someone outside the group of friends. The buddy system is a real thing, use it!!
- Have an uncomfortable feeling? That’s your intuition speaking! Trust it, act upon it, and get out of the situation. This is your first line of defense.
- Have a plan on how you would get out of a bad situation. Know where exits are, check your surroundings, and carry your personal protection. Get your group organized and have a plan in place for when you go out!
- Be aware of your drug and alcohol intake and be in control of your own drink. Also, be aware of others around you. Pay attention to how they are acting and if they are under the influence.
At Damsel we are all about protecting, preparing, and preventing others! We have a special this month, geared around protecting college-age students. This bundle makes a great gift for college freshmen or anyone that need some personal protection! Check out the Red Zone Ready Set below!
Don’t have a PRO to shop with? We can help you find one!
In our previous post, we gave practical ways to help physically keep yourself or help keep your...
Whether you are looking for personal safety tips as an experienced adult or whether you are...
Daily Hype joined the Damsel Protect & Fortify Wellness Line two years ago and has been a...